You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 934 kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT VENUE, AS YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BE TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER VENUE ONCE REGISTERED.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
- Identification Document: Ensure that you have an electronic colour copy of the identification document (National ID for EU citizens or Passport for Non-EU citizens) you plan to use when registering online.
- Signature: Make sure that your signature is clearly shown on the identification document. In the absence of holder's signature field, please sign the copy of your identification document.
Instructions on how to upload these documents (for National ID both sides) can be found in the download section below. Once the documents are uploaded, there is no need to send them to our offices.
Please note you have to provide the same document on the day of the examination.
If you register online but not able to upload an electronic colour copy of your identification document to our Online Registration System, you must send us a copy of the document to firstname.lastname@example.org within three calendar days of registering. Scan the identification document you used to register, save it as a JPEG, GIF or PNG file (the scanned document must be smaller than 1600 by 1600 pixels and the size should be 1.5 MB or less) and email it to the email@example.com.
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of taking a test is €200.00. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form (available only for Visa or Master Card).
ii) Via a Bank Deposit:
Please make your payment at any branch of the Bank of Cyprus into the British Council account (Utility Code 3836) on the special deposit slips available.
Turkish Cypriots can pay at any branch of the Turk Bankasi Ltd. into the British Council account No. 7570252.
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write your name, test date and IELTS reference number (CY006-XXXXX-XXXX)
- Send a copy of your payment slip to firstname.lastname@example.org otherwise your application will not be confirmed.
iii) Via a Bank Transfer (see below according to which community you are living in Cyprus):
Note that the cost of the IELTS test is at 200 Euros Excluding Bank Charges for international transfers. Please specify to your bank that the transfer should be 200 Euros Net to the British Council with the bank charges being covered by yourselves. Once the transfer is complete please send the bank transfer slip to email@example.com.