As part of the British Council’s new global Alumni UK programme, we are offering European alumni of UK higher education institutions a course called Leadership for Gender Equality. More information about the course is set out below.
Our Global Alumni Programme builds long-term relationships with students who have studied at UK higher education institutions. We support alumni to advance their own careers and learning, as well as to build networks and collaborate in addressing global challenges. The core of the programme is a new digital platform which enables registered alumni to access information and opportunities.
Leadership for Gender Equality prepares young people to make a difference on gender equality issues through building their leadership capabilities. The digital course has been co-designed by Clore Social Leadership and the British Council, and provides self-access materials (including readings, videos, podcasts and articles) and opportunities for participants to reflect on their leadership journey and connect with other young leaders who share similar interests.
The programme contributes to our strategic priorities by supporting young people to shape the world around them and address global challenges through skills development and network building.
Timeline and duration
The course starts on 28 February 2022 and will be delivered over a five-week period. Participants will commit to spending 6–7 hours per week accessing a mix of content and engaging in live lessons with other participants.
Each week will include a practical task and a reflective exercise in order to build participants’ self-awareness, confidence and skills to apply the learning. Participants will also receive regular support from a facilitator through the live sessions.
- The five-week self-directed online course is delivered in English. The programme is designed to fit around and complement the participant’s day-to-day routine.
- The programme includes a weekly 90-minute live session following the completion of each online module every Tuesday at 18.00–19.30 CET on 8, 15, 22, 29 March and 5 April 2022.
- Approximately 25–30 participants will be selected to attend the course.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion.
How learning will happen
- The programme is structured over five weeks, each week focusing on a core component of social leadership.
- At the beginning of the week, participants will be introduced to the week’s online content. They will receive a practical task to complete by Thursday.
- By Thursday the practical task should be finished and participants will receive a reflective writing task.
- Participants have until Sunday to consolidate the week’s learning in a reflective writing task. Self-reflection is key to this programme. Participants will be encouraged to think critically about their own leadership.
- Every Tuesday, a live session will be organised in which facilitators will check learning progress and encourage peer learning and reflection.
- be aged 18–35
- be a resident of an EU country
- have a degree (undergraduate or postgraduate) from a UK higher education institution
- have some experience of and interest in leadership
- have some previous experience in working on women’s rights and gender equality, and be committed to enhancing their leadership and influence in this area
- have a good proficiency in English
- have access to a good and stable internet connection and be able to commit five weeks to online learning.
For further information, please contact Marilena Kyriakou at Marilena.Kyriakou@cy.britishcouncil.org.