You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 934 kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Ensure that you have an electronic colour copy of the identification document (National ID for EU citizens or Passport for Non-EU citizens) you plan to use when registering online. Please note you have to provide the same document on the day of the examination.
If you register online but do not upload an electronic colour copy of your identification document to our Online Registration System, you must send us a copy of the document within three calendar days of registering. Scan the identification document you used to register, save it as a .jpeg file no larger than 3 MB and email it to the centre where you are applying to take the IELTS test.
6. Choose your payment options
The cost of sitting a test is €197.00. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form (available only for Visa or Master Card).
ii) Via a Bank Transfer:
Bank Name: Bank of Cyprus
Bank Account Name: British Council
Bank Account Number: 0130-01-116023
Bank Account Sort Code: 130
Bank Code: 3836
- The cost of the IELTS test is at 197 Euros Excluding Bank Charges for international transfers. Please specify to your bank that the transfer should be effected Net to the British Council with the bank charges being covered by yourselves.
iii) Via a Bank Deposit:
Please make your payment at any branch of the Bank of Cyprus into the British Council account (Utility Code 3836) on the special deposit slips available.
Turkish Cypriots can pay at any branch of the Turk Bankasi Ltd. into the British Council account No. 7570252.
- In the REFERENCE section of your payment please write your name and test date.
- When sending your documents to our offices please make sure you attach the payment slip along with your registration's printed summary sheet; otherwise your application will not be confirmed.
7. Complete your registration
If you have not paid and submitted your documents online, you will need to print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration) and send all documents from step 5, your Application Summary and your bank transfer receipt to the British Council Nicosia office, or the British Council north Nicosia office if you are a Turkish Cypriot.
We need to receive all documents within three working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within three working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the below IELTS results request form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
Kindly note that the cost for sending results to more than 5 institutions is €26.00
When completing electronically the request form please make sure that you give the following information:
1. Full postal address of the receiving institution, with name of the recipient if known.
2. Your UCAS reference no (applicable for 1st degree only)
3. Your level of study e.g. Undergraduate/Postgraduate
4. Your name, candidate no. and test date.
Please note we cannot accept telephone requests for the dispatch of results.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email approximately seven days before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact our IELTS exam services team.
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system (link to local relevant ORS URL) and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a €30 administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit an Exam refund application form (see downloads section below) along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. Unless there is a medical reason for your transfer (supporting evidence will be required), you will be charged a €30 administration fee. To transfer to a different test date, please contact us.